Jul 29, 2012

Big news about my Hair Journey ladies! I'm transitioning to Natural! :D

Well I've thought long and hard about this for about a year now and now I have realized that it's inevitable. Right now I've been stretching 6 months after my Relaxer and I no longer want to continue to relax my Hair. I never thought in a million years that I would ever say that. I have never seen my Hair texture as an Adult. I don't remember what it looks or feels like. I know it isn't going to be easy,but maintaining Relaxed hair is too much for me so it can't be any worse than just rocking my natural hair. That being said I will NOT be BC'ing my hair any time soon. Length is extremely important to me. I feel and look better with longer hair. My attitude about it being sleek and straight all the time has completely changed. I look good with my naturally curly hair. This is who I am. This is who God intended me to be. Now I plan on Long-term transitioning and I will not cut any relaxed hair until my Natural hair is atleast SL or APL. This if I'm counting right, should take approximately 18-24+ months. I'm willing to wait. I just took a picture of my approximately 2 inches of NG (new growth) and this is my natural hair texture in this pic below:

I'm excited to see how it looks in full.

What made me decide to go natural

Well it was a bunch of things but the major turning point for me was watching Chime aka Hair Crush's video on "Why I went natural"
HERE: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVotrFMm5T4 and it really made me think long and hard about why I relaxed my hair. Why was I whipping my strands into submission with those Chemicals every 12 weeks? Did I not feel that my kinky,curly,coarse hair was beautiful? I honestly feel that I (like many ladies) didn't feel like I could rock my natural hair like ever. Sleek and silky was the way to go. I've viewed this video 2 or 3x and on the 3rd time, I realized what I had to do. I want to embrace the texture God gave me. I don't need to match up with the European/Caucasian idea of what beauty is. Now, I will NEVER be a natural (I won't use the 4 letter n words as that's offensive) militant. I have been relaxed over 20 yrs. It would be hypocritical of me to bark the woes of Relaxers. I will never do that. I will respect everyone else's decision to do what they want to their Hair. It doesn't affect me directly what someone else choose's to do with their hair anyway.

My decision is NOT solely based on a Youtube video. After all, that would be silly right? It's been in me lately to attempt to love all of me. Not just my face, my nails or my body but my Hair as well. I also started researching transitioning blogs and I'm getting so much information. For the longest time I've been a member of Naturally curly or Curly Nikki as some of you may know it and didn't/wouldn't tell them that I'm relaxed. Now I actually belong there, heehee.

I also last week came across Fusionofcultures on Youtube. Her hair is gorgeous. The first video I encountered was her mini chop to completely natural. I was floored at how beautiful her hair was. Now I am aware that my curl pattern won't be the same as hers. I am aware that I'm a 4B and proud :D I can't claim 4a or 3c nope. But my curls are not in a zig-zag pattern whatsoever so I'm pretty sure it's a 4B. Anyway, you can still follow my journey. I'm still meeting all of the previous goals I have had set for length. The only difference is once I hit those goals, the goals for my Natural hair will change. I'm excited, apprehensive and I don't plan on announcing it to family and making a huge deal about it. Everyone isn't going to necessarily react the way you want them to. I even considered a BC but I know I don't like short short hair on me. My hair has never been shorter than a Halle Berry cut. Anyway :) thanks for listening to me babble. Thanks for following my blog and more awesome products, info, length check pics to come.

5 comments:

  1. I'm transitioning also. I'm almost five months post. I love Chime and Fusionofcultures. You should check out Missthis897, Mstiaradean, kikicouture10,007newnew, and longhairdontcarellc. They are my inspiration during this transition.

    I didn't want to share the news of my transition to natural either because I didn't want to hear any negativity. I told my boyfriend, mom, sister, and a cousin. My boyfriend still isn't on board but that hasn't stopped my transition. My sister and cousin are transitioning with me for now anyways.

    Goood luck on your new journey!

    http://beautinwisdom.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. yay!! i transitioned to natural the same way. i started out stretching my relaxer and then after 3 months thought "why the hell am i relaxing again??" and figured I'd just go natural. cut my relaxed ends off a year later and the rest is history...

    ReplyDelete
  3. @BeautyNwisdom oh thanks so much I'll definitely go check those people out and omgosh yes. My Husband loves it. He said he would divorce me if I did a real BC (he's kidding but still) LOL I have no desire to have a TWA so long transition it is. I'm trying to figure out how many inches of hair I want(natural) I want to have before I cut off my relaxed ends.

    @alx thanks so much :D

    @Prima Doula
    Yes I am 24 weeks and I'm like, im tired of relaxing my dog gone hair! Im tired of the regular retouches, the constant straight bland hair. I want my curls! I want to transition for atleast 2 yrs or more. It depends on how much ng I get from now to then. Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. congrats!! I just started too :D I decided to stop relaxing 3 months post relaxer..and now im 4-5 months :) xx following!.. x

    ReplyDelete